A very distinct Kadhi Kachori recipe from the city of Rajasthan, Ajmer. This Kadhi is distinct as yogurt is not used as an ingredient to prepare the Kadhi with a spicy and tangy flavour. It calls for very few ingredients and is a fuss-free recipe but it takes time to cook and best served with khasta kachori. It is considered as staple in Ajmer and is relished as breakfast or during sack time.
If you step out in the market and crosses any shop of kadhi kachori, you are expected to make a halt and relish the crisp kachori crushed and topped with fiery kadhi. The kadhi kachori shops can be found at every corner in the town and one can’t miss it because of the spread around smell of all the time boiling kadhi. The kadhi can also be served with other deep-fried snacks such as samosa, aloo bonda, palak ke pakore, dal bhajia, saakhein, etc.
Here, I am sharing the step-by-step recipe for “Ajmer ki Kadhi” and “khasta kachori”. You can’t miss to enjoy this savoury recipe with your loved ones. Pease don’t forget to like, subscribe and share your comments after trying this recipe on your own.
Khasta Kachori (Moong Dal)
Rajasthani Kachori is a puffed Indian spicy flatbread, which is like a poori, but more crisp, thick and with a hard flaky crust.
When we talk of Kachori we immediately think of the Rajasthani Moong Dal Kachori. The Moong Dal Kachori is made in different ways. First, where we grind the dal and make pakoras, and then grind and make the stuffing; second where we roast the soaked dal. I have tried both versions and it’s hard for me to decide which one is better! Both the kachoris have a varied flavour.
Rajasthan has a variety of kachoris to offer, Pyaaz Ki Kachori, Aloo ki Kachori , Mava Kachori etc. The crust is almost the same, it is the stuffing that varies. We get awesome kachoris in Delhi too and they are served with Aloo Ki sabji, then we get kachoris served with chutneys. Raj Kachori is a special Kachori which is stuffed with Bhalla papdi, lots of chutneys and creamy yoghurt. We have kachoris from Madhya Pradesh, we have kachoris from Gujarat too.
Follow me for step-by-step instructions to prepare recipe of Khasta Kachori which can be either enjoyed with chutneys or “Ajmer ki Kadhi”.
Servings – 6 pax Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 min Serving time – 2 hours
Instruction for making Kadhi Kachori
- Moong dal- 1 cup (soaked for 2 hours)
- Besan- 1 tbsp (Roasted)
- Oil- 1 ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds (Saunf) Sao- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 pinch
- Red chili powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Salt According To Taste
Steps to make stuffing
- Drain water & separate the dal. Coarsely grind the soaked moong dal.
- Preheat pan and add oil in it.
- When oil is sufficiently hot, add besan, cumin seeds, asafoetida, fennel seeds and saute the spices for 5 minutes.
- Now add grinded dal, salt, garam masala, haldi powder and red chili powder.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Stir constantly and cook dal until it dries up and nice aroma comes.
- Remove the roasted dal in a bowl so that it cools quickly (or leave in the pan and keep it side).
Ingredients for Ajmer ki Kadhi Recipe
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai)- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing)- 2 pinch
- Water- 1 jug
- Gram flour/ besan- 4 tsp
- Dry mango powder (amchur)- 1½ tsp
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder- 1 tsp
- Black Salt(rock salt)- ½ tsp
- Salt- according to taste
Steps to make Kadhi
- In a mixing bowl take 3 glass of water. Add 4 tsp of besan.
- Next add all the spices red chili powder, dry mango (amchur) powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, black salt and Salt.
- Mix it well to make a lump-free mix.
- Heat a cooking pan. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Add mustard seeds. Let it crackle very well on low flame. It is important that the mustard seeds crackle well, that will release its flavour, add a pinch of asafoetida. Cook for 30 seconds. Switch off the flame.
- Now add gram flour and spices mixture.
- Put on the flame, keep the flam on medium or slow for 45-60 minutes. (If you need more water while cooking add more).
- Once you get the desired consistency is achieved, switch off the flame. (if you want thick constancy don’t add much water and if you want thin constancy add water)
- Serve hot.
Ingredients for Kachori Dough:
- All Purpose Flour ( Maida)- 2 Cups
- Salt as per taste
- Oil- 4 Tbsp
Method to Prepare Kachori Dough:
- In a mixing bowl combine Maida, oil and salt, mix well with your hands. (at least 4 min mixed them)
- If the flour is packed in your palms it should retain a fist shape at the same time if crumbled it should break into powdery consistency.
- Gradually add normal water in small batches and start kneading. Form a loose and soft dough, (don’t make tight dough)
- Once the dough has formed cover with a towel or a cotton cloth and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
Making the Kachori’s
- Take little amount of dough, equal to size of lemon, and roll giving it a round shape.
- Take a dough ball and flatten it with help of your fingers giving it a shape like bowl.
- Now fill this bowl with 1 tsp stuffing and lift from all sides for sealing the stuffing.
- Similarly prepare all kachoris.
Method of Frying Kachori’s
- Preheat oil in a wok for frying kachoris.
- Oil should be medium hot to fry kachoris.
- Roll the the stuffed dough ball with your hand or fingers gently into thick kachori.
- Fry the kachori at low flame.
- Place as many kachoris as possible in the wok at one time.
- Flip the side when kachoris turn puffy and are slightly brown from beneath.
- Keep flipping the kachoris and fry until they turn golden brown in color.
- Keep the flame low to medium, to get crunchy and crispy kachoris.
- Once the Kachori’s are crisp and golden brown in colour remove on tissue paper.
Kadhai Kachori is ready serve hot!
For more recipes visit us https://indianrecipestreasure.com/