“Keema Pav” is a minced meat cooked with Indian spices and kept dry enough to be savoured with buttered bread (Pav). This interesting Keema recipe is mostly adored as street food in the Western parts of India. Just like any other kind of food from Mumbai such as Vada Pav or Pav Bhaji, the ‘Pav’ is very important in this recipe of Keema Pav. It is special kind of bread that is colloquially called ‘bun’. The kheema in this recipe is juicy but not with too much gravy.
This is the dish originated in the Iranian or Persian restaurants of Mumbai and the ‘Pav’ in Keema Pav tells you that it has to be food from the streets of the Island city – “Aamchi Mumbai”. If we go behind in the history, the Pav was introduced in Indian Plates by Portuguese. The Portuguese when invaded Goa, missed their staple diet buns and bread, then when Mumbai was becoming the commercial hub this staple food traveled from Goa to Mumbai. Enjoy this mouth-watering, delicious & iconic dish with sprinkling of lime juice balancing the heat and onions served on the side to impart the textual crunch. An economical dish, can be enjoyed in breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I am presenting here a quick and easy recipe for Keema Pav to prepare at home. Instead of Pav, one may serve the Keema Masala with Roti, Naan, Luchha Paratha, Bati or your preferred choice of bread. The Keema literally melts in your mouth, loved by all, young and old at my home. Follow the steps below and learn how to make Keema Pav.
Servings – 4 Pax Cooking time: 45 mins
- Keema/Mince Meat (Chicken/Mutton/Lamb/Goat etc.) – 500 gms
- Onions – 2 Large (1 sliced and 1 paste)
- Tomatoes – 2 medium (paste)
- Garlic paste – ½ tbsp
- Ginger paste – ½ tbsp
- Green cardamom – 2 piece
- Black Cardamom – 1 piece
- Cinnamon – 1 piece
- Cloves- 3-4 piece
- Bayleaf – 1 leaf
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder- ¼ tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder- 1 tsp (used only for colour)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Oil/Ghee- 2-3 tbsp
- Green chili – 4 (2 for garnishing and 2 for paste)
- Green Peas, if fresh – par boiled and if frozen – just thawed, as many or as little as you want (optional)
Steps to make Keema Pav
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bayleaf and let them crackle.
- Add onions and fry on medium flame till the onions turn golden brown.Then add onion paste, and let it cook till oil gets discharged to the sides.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir for another minute.
- Add tomatoes (tomato paste and green chilli paste), let cook for 10 minutes.
- After 5 mint now add coriander powder, turmeric powder, both the chili powders, cumin powder, salt. Cook, stirring continuously till the oil get separates.
- Now add the keema and cook on Medium heat and 5 min.
- If using a pan to cook, cover and cook, stirring occasionally till the keema is almost done – around 20-25 minutes.The meat will release enough moisture but if you see that it sticking to the pan while stirring, add about a half cup of water.
- If using pressure cooker, add about a half a cup of water and pressure cook for 10 minutes.(take 2 whistle) Then add peas and cook till 2-3 min.
- Open the lid and keep cooking and stirring till you get the desired dryness.
- If using peas, add at this stage, mix well and let it cook for another 10 minutes or so.
- Add garam masala powder and stir again.
Your Keema Masala is ready to be served with Buttered Pav!
For more Delicious recipes https://indianrecipestreasure.com/