How to Make Mirchi Bada
Mirchi Vada recipe was originated from the city of Jodhpur and is a very famous street food of Rajasthan. Thus, they are also known as Jodhpuri Mirchi Vada. They are chili peppers stuffed with spicy potato filling and then dipped in gram flour (besan) batter and deep-fried. These mirchi vadas are served with tamarind chutney and green chutney. Their hot flavors and extremely piquant taste is simply out of this world. They are simply a delight for people who love hot and spicy food. Just my kind! YUMMY!
Chillies are one of the most used spices in Indian cooking. There is an incredibly diverse range of chilli peppers, all of which serve their own individual purpose in the cooking process. There are numerous types of chillies some different colours, from other countries and different levels of heat. Red chillies tend to generally be mellower whereas green chillies have a sharper and hotter kick to them. Despite the array of amazing flavours, smells, and tastes we get from chillies in our cooking, there are surprisingly a number of incredible health benefits too!
Mirchi Bada or Mirchi Vada are long chilli peppers stuffed with a spiced potato filling, coated with a gram flour batter and deep fried in hot oil. These Mirchi Vadas are typically served as an evening snack or breakfast along with tea. Jodhpuri Mirchi Bada is very similar to Hyderabadi Mirchi Bajji where we stuff the chillies with a different filling.
This Rajasthani Mirchi Bada doesn’t need any chutney or dip as it is stuffed with a flavorful and spicy filling, but they taste equally delicious with green chutney, tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup. Mirchi bada is naturally vegetarian and vegan.
Any large chilli peppers can be used, but they should be mild in spice. To reduce the spice levels of the chillies, discard the seeds before your stuff them.
Benefits of Green Chilli
- Improve your skin regime
- Rich in vitamin C
- Lower your body temperature
- Natural source of iron
- Balance blood sugar levels
- Improve your immune system
- Pain reliever, digestive and ulcer preventative
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Protect the body
Now, follow me along for step-by-step instructions to prepare homemade Mirchi Bada from Jodhpur (Jodhpur’s famous Mirchi Bada)!
Ingredients of Mirchi Vada Recipe
- Besan / Chickpea Flour- 3 cups
- Long Chillies- 6-8
- Medium Sized Potatoes- 5 boiled
- Pomegranate- 2 tbsp
- Cashew- 2 tsp
- Rasine-2 tsp
- Amchur / Dried Mango Powder-1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Baking Soda- 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Water- 1 cup approx
Instructions to Make Mirchi Pakoda
- Wash the chillies and wipe them with a cloth. Slit the chillies lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Take a pot add 4 cups of water and take a boil, after coming a boil switch off the flame and add green chillies, leave them for 5 min in hot water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the boiled potatoes, amchur, red chilli powder, Resins, Cashew and salt and mix until well combined. Keep it aside.
- Remove green chillies from water.
- Stuff them with prepared potato filling and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Combine the besan, salt, turmeric powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Make a smooth and little thick batter by adding water little by little.
- Dip the each stuffed chilli into the besan batter and carefully drop it into the hot oil.
- Deep fry in hot oil, until crisp and golden color.
- Remove the fried vadas from oil and place them on a paper towel.
Serve Mirchi Vada hot with ketchup or green chutney
For more recipes visit us at https://indianrecipestreasure.com/