Butter chicken masala, a delicious creamy chicken gravy recipe made using boneless chicken added into a creamy gravy.
It is often termed using various names such as chicken butter masala too… There are many other chicken recipes such as chicken tikka masala which are made almost in a similar manner with slight variations here and there. This recipe is a perfect combination of sweet & tangy chicken masala.
I feel that this is an easy and a best butter chicken masala recipe with all the basic ingredients that are easily available at home.
Most Mughlai and Punjabi eateries will serve you a plate of this Murgh Makhani as do dhabas and road side restaurants. I could eat up into a whole dish without anyone else. Delicate roomali rotis, naan or flaky parathas gathering up the thick spiced sauce of butter chicken alongside delicious pieces of boneless chicken with singed edges carries sheer enjoyment with each significant piece. The warmth/flavor of the dish consolidates with the rich gravy and slight sweetness that make it extremely difficult to resist.
This is easy to make Butter Chicken masala at home has always for me been about getting the flavours just right and it should taste like a restaurant style butter chicken masala. This recipe is one that I can say is an absolute hit every single time with family and friends. There’s no calorie counting here I can tell you that now! There’s a copious quantity of butter (after all it is butter chicken!), cream and honey. But I assure you it’s worth every spoonful.
The chicken is marinated & grilled before adding it to the makhani sauce. Boneless chicken pieces added to the sauce enhance the flavour of the overall dish. Follow my recipe for homemade butter chicken masala and can even be done a few hours in advance. I am sharing the step by step recipe of butter chicken. Once the boneless butter chicken is cooked set aside and proceed to make the makhani sauce below. Fenugreek leaf powder is available at Asian stores or you can even grind dried fenugreek leaves.
To marinate chicken
- Boneless chicken- 500 gram
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 1tsp
- Lemon juice- 1tsp
- Salt -to taste
To saute the chicken:
- Ghee- 2 tsp (for cooking)
- Ghee- 3 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
- Onions (sliced)-2 medium size
- Tomatoes (chopped)-3 medium size
- Cashew nuts (kaju)- 10-12
- Green chillies-4 slit
- Kashmiri red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Cardamom – 2 piece
- Cream/malai-2 tbsp
- Kasoori methi / dried fenugreek leaves- ¾ tsp
Instructions to make Butter Chicken Masala
Marinating the chicken
- Wash the boneless chicken pieces well.
- Take a mixing bowl, add the boneless chicken pieces into it.
- Add salt as per taste, Kashmiri red chilli powde, ginger, garlic paste and lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients and the chicken well.
- Cover and marinate the chicken for at least half an hour.
Cook the chicken pieces
- Take a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add the chicken pieces into the oil.
- Cook them until the water from the chicken gets absorbed completely.
- The chicken takes around 20 minutes to get tender and perfectly roasted.
- Do not cook the chicken on high flame.
- Cook it on medium to low flame and keep tossing the chicken in between.
- Switch off the stove once the chicken is cooked and keep it aside.
Cook the gravy
- Take a pan, add oil, add butter and heat it.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté it for 4 min.
- Now add cardamom and cashew nuts into it, and sauté them for 5 min.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies and mix everything.
- Cook till tomatoes get soft.
- Once they are totally soft, switch off the flame.
- Get the gravy to cool down completely.
- Take a blending jar and add the cold gravy into the blender.
- Blend the gravy finely and make a fine puree.
Mixing of the puree and the chicken
- Take a pan or any cooking utensil.
- Add butter to it approx 4 tbsp.
- Add dry spices such as salt as per taste, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and coriander powder and cook everything for 2 min.
- Now add blended puree into the pan, mix all the puree with all spices.
- Mix well and cook the gravy for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add the chicken pieces into it and mixed them, Cook for 5 min.
- Now add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala powder mixed them all.
- Cover the lid and let the gravy cook until it leaves oil from the sides.
- Lastly add fresh cream to it and mixed it, switch off the flame.
- Restaurant style butter chicken masala is ready garnish with cream and green chilli.
Serve you delicious restaurant style Butter Chicken Masala hot with naan, garlic naan, tandoori roti or paratha.
For more Delicious recipes Visit us at https://indianrecipestreasure.com